JFFS2/xattr problems.

KaiGai Kohei kaigai at ak.jp.nec.com
Mon Jun 12 05:43:46 EDT 2006

Hi,

> I have an unrelated question.... what is the maximum size of an XATTR?
> Am I right in thinking that it's 64KiB? That's rather large; we won't be
> able to write it in a single node on some flash chips, where the
> eraseblock size is smaller than that. Don't we need to allow multiple
> nodes, to cover the range of an xdatum?

Indeed, the maximum size of an XATTR is limited by eraseblock size.
As it may be smaller than XATTR_SIZE_MAX (=65536), we can't handle
very large xattr in the current implementation.
It was blind spot for me.

But is it actually needed ?
For example, the length of xattr in EXT2 implementation is limited
by block size which is 4096 at most. But nobody (probably) has claimed
yet.

In my opinion, a xattr across multiple nodes isn't neccesary.
What do you think?

Thanks,
--
Open Source Software Promotion Center, NEC
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai at ak.jp.nec.com>