pxa2xx-flash again, please?

Todd Poynor toddpoynor at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 15:42:04 EDT 2006

Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Jörn Engel wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 8 June 2006 09:59:10 +0200, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry. This patch has been committed to mtd CVS (I think so, as it
>>> appeared on mtd-cvs ML:
>>> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd-cvs/2005-December/005252.html)
>>>
>>> and I asked this question already a few weeks ago, so, I thought it
>>> might
>>> ring the bell... The problem is - the patch has been submitted last
>>> December still it is not in stock kernel nor in 2 mtd git-trees on
>>> kernel.org/git, so...
>>
>> Well, the cvs has basically been abandoned.  There was some effort to
>> pull the important patches from cvs into git, but as you noticed,
>> things were lost.
>>
>> Not sure whether the patch makes sense or not.  Maybe Todd can comment
>> that.
>
> I think it does. It makes one file per (pxa) platform fewer.

When I last checked the patch was a good thing, collapsing two
practically identical XScale PXA2xx mapping drivers into one and
converting to platform devices.  It had previously been acked by PXA2xx
and MTD guy Nicolas Pitre, and Russell King accepted the ARM-side
changes, which are in kernel.org waiting to become useful.  I think the
patch happened to hit a window in which it wasn't merged upstream and
has sat in limbo since then.

(And then the driver is almost totally generic other than relying on the
ARM-only (last I knew) asm/mach/flash.h stuff and needs pxa-specific
cache invalidate functions, in case anybody's tackling those problems.)

--
Todd