Root mounting time

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Jun 7 08:28:12 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 14:16 +0200, Davide CASCONE wrote:
> I'm working in XIP mode on a OMAP platform using Sibley device in
> burst mode (burst frequency = 48MHz). I see that it's necessary about
> 1 sec to mount JFFS2 on a 1MB root image. Do you feel this is a
> reasonable time? How long does it usually take to mount the JFFS2 on a
> typical root image?

Are you using the current git tree and summary support?

I can mount a 512MiB NAND flash in 5.9s on hardware where I get only
2.7MiB/s transfer speed from the flash. Mounting 1MiB from NOR flash
really shouldn't be that slow.

Profile the current code and show where it takes all the time.

I have plans to halve the size of the summary nodes, which should go
into the git tree this week too.

--
dwmw2