about using UBI on MLC Nand flash

Marteo Tim tim.marteo at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 05:05:52 EDT 2006

2006/7/28, Artem B. Bityutskiy <dedekind at yandex.ru>:
> Hello Tim,
>
> Marteo Tim wrote:
> > I noticed that UBI need to write 2 times at 1st page in 1 block, one
> > for EC header, and the other for VID header. But it is not suitable
> > for MLC NAND flash, which only can write once per page. And by
> > default, MTD's nand_write can only write page-aligned data.
> > Although we can set the module parameter vid_hdr_offsets to the 2nd
> > page, but it will occupy more flash space. It is in a dilemma. :(
>
> I wonder, what's your flash What's the NAND page size of your flash?

My NAND flash page size is 2k byte.

> unfortunately, I failed to find any MLC NAND flash manual to read about
> it. If you could send me one, I'd be grateful. Or URL? Is it only
> Toshiba who produce them?

OK, I'm glad to send it to you, include SAMSUNG&TOSHIBA's MLC NAND
flash datasheet, please check your email, :)

> Is this a feature of MLC NANDs or this is just MTD which does not
> support multiple writes? For example, Samsung SLC flashes *do* support 4
> writes per NAND page, but MTD *does not* support this so far (but there
> is a plan to implement this).

By now, as the datasheet described, MLC NAND flash cannot write exceed
one time for main area and one time for spare area. I don't know it is
due to manufacture technology's limit or other reasons.

> And it is strange if UBI tries to write to one NAND page twice at your
> case. By default it should not, granted mtd->writesize is correct in
> your case.

Yes, for SLC NAND flash, it would be easy to write more times per page
by setting mtd->writesize to 512.

Due to cheap price, MLC NAND flash maybe use more and more popular,
especially in bulky flash. Yaffs2 can already support MLC chips by