Nand read/write

Thomas Gleixner tglx at linutronix.de
Thu Jul 13 05:58:34 EDT 2006

At Thu, 13 Jul 2006 13:48:32 +0400,
Vitaly Wool wrote:

> M Sudharshana-A18475 wrote:
> > It is a flash partition where no file system is defined for that
> > mount-able partition. Read/write operations are performed on /dev/mtd0
> > (place where memory partition is mounted
> Ok, then the answer is yes, unless your board driver selects
> NAND_ECC_NONE for ECC calculation.
>
> I'd also expect to hear a lection on top-posting if I were you.

And you get a lesson for the wrong answer. :)

The question was if bad blocks are handled when he accesses
the FLASH via /dev/mtdX. The answer is:

It's not possible to write / erase bad blocks.

But there is no bad block replacement functionality when you
access the FLASH through the raw MTD interface. Neither MTD
nor NAND provide anything like this. Raw access has to take
care of this itself. Therefor we require that images are
written with nandwrite instead of dd or cp. nandwrite has
the simplest form of bad block handling (skip it).

	tglx