[2.6 patch] no longer mark MTD_OBSOLETE_CHIPS as BROKEN and remove broken MTD_OBSOLETE_CHIPS drivers

Adrian Bunk bunk at stusta.de
Sun Jan 8 07:57:00 EST 2006

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 12:41:12PM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 17:45 -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > Hey, Adrian isn't an MTD developer
>
> Indeed he is not. And while his minor nitpicks can sometimes be worth
> the effort, it's less useful for him to start making value judgements
> about removing drivers which have _theoretically_ been replaced by new
> code, but which are actually still being used in some cases.

I interpreted your "or just removed" in [1] as your approval for a patch
to remove the non-compiling drivers.

I'm not a native English speaker, and therefore I might have
misunderstood your email.

What I want for 2.6.16 is to remove the wrong dependency of MTD_SHARP on
BROKEN and the non-compiling drivers either still hidden under BROKEN or
removed.

If there is any way I can submit a patch achieving this that would be
acceptable for you simply tell how exactly you want this patch.

> > What he's doing here is to poke other maintainers into getting the tree
> > cleaned up.  It's a useful thing to do.
>
> I know what needs doing to clean the tree up -- and removing the older
> chip drivers is very far from the top of my todo list. If you really
> want to accelerate their demise, add a #warning and a printk saying "You
> should no longer be using this driver -- try using jedec_probe or
> cfi_probe instead and contact the linux-mtd list if that fails".

We are talking about drivers marked as BROKEN for one and a half years
that do no longer compile.

> dwmw2

cu
Adrian