[Yaffs] bit error rates --> a vendor speaks

Vitaly Wool vwool at ru.mvista.com
Thu Feb 23 03:31:36 EST 2006

Hello folks,

my two cents...

The way out I'd like to suggest is to [re]design the NAND filesystems
(jffs{2|3}, yaffs[2]) in such a way that no sensible information is
stored in OOB area. That will mean no compatibility/applicability issues.
But how to deal with speed decrease within this approach? I think it's
reasonable to store speedup information (indexes, hash values etc.) in
the OOB area. Well, this speedup info will need to be designed in an
adaptable way as the amount of spare OOB bytes can be whatever.
Also, the tools for writing the filesystem image onto the flash better
be capable of generating this speedup info as they write the image,
otherwise first mount will take a lot of time (probably as it happens
once, it's also acceptable but less convenient).

And... I do not like the idea to remove OOB-handling stuff from the MTD
layer. I also do not like the idea to make a separate interface for NAND
layer, I'm afraid this will lead to confusion and hard to track errors.

Hope that makes sense,

Best regards,
   Vitaly