[Yaffs] bit error rates --> a vendor speaks

Artem B. Bityutskiy dedekind at yandex.ru
Tue Feb 21 06:59:48 EST 2006

Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> Wake up please. Thats going to be reality for NAND based stuff in the
> future. The controllers will expose the raw FLASH but claim the OOB area
> for their own purpose - hardware based error correction.
One of my colleagues said a very interesting argument against this.

Look, consider all those CompactFlash cards. They are NAND flash based.
They have a kind of block device emulation built-in. And I bet they use
OOB to store the logical block number corresponding to this physical
block. The block device over Flash device emulation is so widespread, so
vendors will never forbid OOB usage.

 From this point of view, OOB is no going to go.

--
Best Regards,