[Yaffs] bit error rates --> a vendor speaks

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Sat Feb 18 19:29:00 EST 2006

On Sunday 19 February 2006 07:11, Russ Dill wrote:
> > Some words about Reed Solomon.
> >
> > Reed Solomon needs hardware support for performance reasons. Efficient
> > usage of Reed Solomon requires a different Data / RS-code layout:
>
> At what level is hardware support required? I'm involved in the design
> of a new system with a 466Mhz 80200. Should fpga considerations be
> mode for ecc correction? What sort of logic would be best to put in
> the fpga?

If you have NAND going past or through the FPGA then thinking about RS or ECC
is a GoodIdea.

ECC is pretty expensive (yaffs_ecc.c is a bit faster than nand_ecc.c, but
still requires quite a bit of computation). From what I've heard, RS is a lot
more expensive.

I have not yet looked at RS yet, but I "pencil designed" a fast and simple ECC
scheme that needs approx 22 flipflops + some other gates a while ago. This
mechanism is used pretty much as follows:

1) Clear flipflops.
2) Transfer data
3) Read calculated ECC out of flipflops.

So the actual correction is still done in software, but the expensive part -
the calculation - is done in hw. This gets you most of the way there with
limited hw costs.

I hunch that you could do something similar for RS.

-- CHarles