Reduce boot time with jffs2 and CM-X255

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Wed Dec 20 04:46:14 EST 2006

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:

>> I don't know what the solution is - one idea is that a program like
>> nandwrite could be instructed to write cleanmarkers to the OOB of unused
>> parts of a partition. Currently there is no support for this but it could
>> be added.
>
> nandwrite -o ?

Yes, but that assumes the image contains the cleanmarkers. Can mkfs.jffs2
create images with cleanmarkers in the oob? And wouldn't that conflict
with mtd ecc usage, i.e. doesn't ecc information then also have to be in
the image?

>> Hm, sidetracking here a bit, I'm thinking a general erase + write image
>> utility for NAND flash would be useful, given that bad block management
> I would recommend to improve/re-work/upgrade nandwrite instead of a new
> tool.

Yes I think that's probably the best route. I've been thinking about this
for some time, but haven't really come to a conclusion about exactly what
to include in such an upgrade. (I know I've posted some ideas earlier on
the list; thanks for the responses btw).

/Ricard