intel p30, unlocking before loading driver, again

Daniel Robinson danielgrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 18:01:07 EST 2006

I have a board with a P30 part on it and here are the knowns:

1) the P30 powers up with all blocks locked.

2) if the driver gets loaded with the blocks locked, mode is 0660
(rw-rw----), which allows me to open the device in O_RDWR mode, will
let me do ioctl() calls to unlock blocks, but won't let me write to
the device.  The ioctl() returns without error, but writing fails
because it is a read only file system.

3) In an attempt to increase robustness for a system that will be
embedded, I want to limit the amount of the part that is unlocked and
available for writing.  Ideally, I would like to control that
parametrically.

I can't find the place in the flash device is checked for being
unlocked and the bits are set that indicate that it is a read-only
device.

Thanks in advance,

Dan