write-protected

Samuel ]slund samuel at Update.UU.SE
Tue Aug 15 11:36:49 EDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 04:44:01PM -0400, Katey Yu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I mount /dev/mtdblock3 in flash I get  block " block device
> /dev/mtdblock3 is write-protected, mounting read-only". I should get
> mtdblock_open?
>
> Could somebody tell me what's wrong?
>

> mount -t jffs2  /dev/mtdblock3 /var/tmp
>
> mount: block device /dev/mtdblock3 is write-protected, mounting
> read-only

You do not give very much information about your system...
Ok, assuming you have set up the block device correctly.

I had a similar problem that boiled down to that the driver
from the manufacturer hardcoded the partition to be read-only.

in my case the apropriate file was:
linux/arch/arm/mach-ks8695/ks8695_mm.c

The partition had been set read-only by adding:
  .mask_flags = MTD_WRITABLE

to the partition struct.

HTH
//Samuel