OneNAND - Cannot mount jffs2 partition

Catherine Smith catherine at arrows.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 13 13:45:12 EDT 2006

Thanks Artem.

> John wrote:
>> Questions:
>>   Is this a suitable pair of commands?
>>    $ flash_eraseall -j /dev/mtd5
>>    $ mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock5 /mnt/onenand
> Yeah, I believe this is the right commands and should work.
>

>>   What is the likely underlying cause of the error message
>>       "Cowardly refusing to erase blocks on filesystem with
>>        no valid JFFS2 nodes"
> Hmm, JFFS2 is complaining that you feed it with a flash which is neither
> empty nor contains a valid JFFS2 FS image.
>
> Try to avoid using -j and see what happens. You also may try to enable
> JFFS2's debugging prints.

If I don't use the -j, it seems to work, though with a few warnings.
For example:
  $ flash_eraseall /dev/mtd5
  Eraseing 64 Kibyte @ 7f0000 -- 99 % complete
  $ mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock5 /mnt/onenand
  Eep. no valid nodes for ino #1

Then I can create files in /mnt/onenand, and copy them around or calculate a
few signatures. All is well.
Once, when I tried to mount after a power cycle, it said:
  jffs2_get_inode_nodes(): CRC failed on node at 0x002dd7c8: Read
0xffffffff, calculated 0x20f0e445

Are these warnings, the Eep and the CRC failure, typical and harmless,
or should I take a keen interest?

> --
> Best Regards,
> Artem B. Bityutskiy,