Dynamic MTD partition tables in Linux

KimM kmnet1 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 04:12:55 EDT 2006

Hi all

I need support for dynamic MTD partition tables in Linux. Currently there's four
ways of doing this: cmdlineparsing, Redboot, ARM way or my own way.

For various reasons I won't use the cmdline, so it's either Redboot or ARM, in which
case my preference is Redboot since I assume that it's more likely to be maintained in
the future. Unfortunately I do not use Redboot, but u-boot, so I have to develop
my own tool for writing the partition tables.

Of course, there are several ways to go about this, but I prefer a generic Linux
tool which can create/modify the partition table. This way I can run the tool
on both my host and target and create partitions as images or at runtime.

But before I go ahead, I want to get some opinions whether to use the Redboot
or ARM tables. And of course, I would very must like to know if a
tool already exists...:)

Thanks
KimM