JFFS2: scan leaves dirent for inode which has no valid data nodes

Dmitry Bazhenov atrey at emcraft.com
Thu Apr 27 03:40:37 EDT 2006

Hi,

I am running Linux 2.4.26 for MIPS-4k custom board and has the problem wich
appears from time to time on one of the JFFS2 partitions.

The partition is mounted to /etc mount point. The following screenshot shows
the problem (I have changed the real file name for confidentiality).

# touch /etc/any.file
touch: /etc/any.file: Input/output error
# echo ddd > /etc/any.file
/etc/any.file: cannot create (Input/output error)

It is worth to note, that 'ls' utility doesn't show this file in the list.

I have made a dump of the partition and examined it. I have found that there
is a valid dirent for the file and there is no valid data nodes (all are
obsolete).

The curcumstances that proceeded the appearance of the situation are unknown.
It is also unknown was it a powerfail or it was a normal functioning.

My questions are:

1. Should the scan process during mounting mark as obsolete dirent nodes which
has no valid data nodes?
2. Is this a bug when such dirent exists and there is no chanse to
create/read/write a file with the same name?

I have browsed the mailing list archive and haven't found (or just missed) the
problem in it. Maybe the problem were resolved in more recent 2.4.x kernels.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dmitry