Unlocking Intel flash

Jörn Engel joern at wohnheim.fh-wedel.de
Wed Apr 26 12:02:24 EDT 2006

On Wed, 26 April 2006 10:50:46 -0500, Peter Buelow wrote:
> > On Wed, 26 April 2006 10:04:31 -0500, Peter Buelow wrote:
> >
> > Well, I partially want to help you as well.  Just that my help is some
> > fodder for the decision makers to make them think again about a
> > questionable decision.  Most likely, they simply didn't know all the
> > effects it would cause.  And it helps if someone outside publically
> > writes some nasty words about it.  Trust me on this one. ;)
> Yeah, I know. The list of issues with our ref implementation is not
> limited to the kernel. Seriously, we're using 2.95 as our compiler. Some
> of the stuff we want to do doesn't even build with that quite right.

You are aware of the preprocessor bug with commas?
#define my_printk(fmt, args...) printk("foo" fmt, ##args)
                                               ^^
The above won't work with 2.95, you have to leave a space between
"fmt" and the comma.  'tis a fairly common problem.

> > And don't forget to document your problems and tell manager about
> > them.  And have them talk to your hardware supplier about it.
>
> HW supplier won't budge. You might be surprised at how many devices are
> floating around sporting this ref design that they still support. I have a
> better chance of reimplementing this entire platform on my own than
> getting them to migrate kernels.
>
> Which is a thought...

:)

Jörn

--
The competent programmer is fully aware of the strictly limited size of
his own skull; therefore he approaches the programming task in full