Unlocking Intel flash

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 22:25:33 EDT 2006

On 4/25/06, Peter Buelow <pete at putzin.net> wrote:
> Ok, hoping someone knows, because Google isn't helping oddly enough. I've
> just started putting together some work that includes adding a JFFS2
> partition using MTD (obviously) that sits on it's own (ie, it's not
> bootable and is just a small area that I would like to read/write to where
> the rest of the FS is squashfs read only). Basically, an rc script either
> creates it, or mounts it depending, and then I would use it mounted under
> /store. Here's what's happening.
>
> I can create the JFFS2 fielsystem, no errors. I can mount the new
> filesystem, no errors. I can initially write to the filesystem, but then
> the writes fail (usually after the first write) with the following error
>
> Write of 68 bytes at 0x000e0214 failed. returned 0, retlen 0
>
> This happens after initial creation and will happen immediately after
> reboot and remount of the existing partition. OK, so I need to unlock the
> flash maybe? I try the unlock command, and get the following.
>
> # unlock /dev/mtdblock/8
> Could not get MTD device info from /dev/mtdblock/8

Try unlock /dev/mtd/8.  You need to use the character device with
unlock, not the block device.

> This is a stock 2.4.17 kernel, no patches to MTD (yet?) and gcc version
> 2.95.3. It's Intel Strata flash, the P30 family. Many thanks in advance to
> anyone who can help.

That combination probably won't work anyway.  You have a fairly new
flash that has a CFI version of 1.4.  You also have a kernel version
that is very very very old and does not support that version of CFI.
If you want real MTD support for those chips, you'll need to update
your kernel.

josh