A JFFS2 optimization related to syslog

Jörn Engel joern at wohnheim.fh-wedel.de
Wed Apr 19 08:55:51 EDT 2006

On Wed, 19 April 2006 13:45:38 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 12:00 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > So even if we do that, I think Ferenc's patch _also_ makes sense,
> > because it fixes the worst of the problem at its source. We could
> > perhaps make it conditional -- only write out the whole page if there's
> > more than N nodes already in the same page, or if the previous nodes for
> > the same page are in the same eraseblock _and_ the new 'full' node would
> > actually fit in the eraseblock.
>
> Something like this, perhaps....?
>
> http://git.infradead.org/?p=users/dwmw2/merge-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=51d838550c9aaf346e918d7964b2cb66ecd61b8d

Too complicated, imo.  The patch writes a pristine node, if
1) node is last node of page,
2) node is last node of file,
3) other nodes exist in the same eraseblock.

Condition 1 makes sense.  2 can be argued about.  Maybe a benchmark or
two can show whether it makes sense or not.  3 is fairly complicated
and I fail to see what it buys us.  If the other fragments are in
seperate eraseblocks, why shouldn't we write out a pristine node?

Jörn

--
Schrödinger's cat is <BLINK>not</BLINK> dead.
-- Illiad