blkmtd and name_to_dev_t

Artem B. Bityutskiy dedekind at yandex.ru
Tue Apr 4 04:42:54 EDT 2006

Jörn Engel wrote:
  > You are not wrong.
>
> A possibly better way to deliver the same functionality (jffs2 rootfs
> on block device through emulation) might be to add transparent
> translation support to jffs2.  Something that will make "mount
> /dev/hda1 /mnt -t jffs2" work.  How exactly the code for this should
> look, I don't know yet.  But given that jffs2 is the only sane user of
> bd->mtd translation, it looks like the Right Thing to me.

This is a bit out of context and I'm not arguing. Just wanted to note.
Mount and linux long support device-less mount. The beset way to mount
JFFS2 would be to do like this:

mount mtd0 /mnt/jffs2 -t jffs2

No need to have any fake block device, no need to have any device node
at all. JFFS2 seems to (not sure) not support this but it is trivial to add.

I tend to think that this mtdblock fake stuff is some ancient crap and
has to go and not confuse people.

--
Best Regards,
Artem B. Bityutskiy,