JFFS2 erase suspend

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 21:31:03 EDT 2006

On 3/30/06, Mikolaj Kolakowski <mikolaj.kolakowski at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anybody can explain how erase suspend should work from the macro
> perspective?
>
> I assume that when I delete huge file and JFFS2 starts erasing sectors then
> when I try to write small amount of data I shouldn't wait until all the
> sectors on a erase pending list will be erased? The write should stop
> erasing. Is it true?

It's a chip level feature, so it depends on the chip.  Also, JFFS2
itself does nothing in that area.  It's up to the MTD driver
underneath to deal with suspending erases.

> On my system I observe that erase suspend is supported but when I delete 5MB
> file then copy of a small file (20 bytes) to the partition takes a few
> seconds. Is it a bug?

I doubt it's a bug in JFFS2.  Also, you didn't mention which kernel or
level of MTD/JFFS2 code you're running.  So if it is a bug, we
couldn't even tell you if it's been fixed or not.

josh