XIP fails on kernels 2.6.12 and higher

Jared Hulbert jaredeh at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 18:51:50 EDT 2005

> If you can find the exact intermediate release between 2.6.11 and 2.6.12
> that broke it that would be extrelely helpful.

2.6.11.12 works and 2.6.12 does not.  I'll see if I can't find an
intermediate release.

> This is generic code so probably on all platforms.

In mm/bootmem.c free_all_bootmem_core() does not return.   It seems
after i hits 288 if I step I get a imprecise data abort.  It seems to
occur at the __ClearPageReserved() which is an inlined __clear_bit()
from include/asm/bitops.h.  It does this at somewhere around
page=0xC0042400 which seems perfectly normal and is readable/writeable
with the JTAG debugger.  Its really hard to replicate but it seems
like a LDR op code is always at fault.  I've tried 2 different
toolchains and compiling with -O0, while the LDR command was always a
little different it was basically a read to the same address range.
It is really baffling me.  Nothing seems wrong with what it is doing.
I almost suspect hardware.  I'm also testing on a Mainstone2 like
Alexey.  My OSK got destroyed.  Can somebody confirm xipImage of
2.6.12 fails to boot where 2.6.11 runs on a different hardware
platform?