Great jffs2 speedup

Josh Boyer jdub at us.ibm.com
Thu Sep 29 08:39:09 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 13:52 +0200, Jörn Engel wrote:
> On Thu, 29 September 2005 13:45:14 +0200, Ferenc Havasi wrote:
> > >
> > Yes, it is true. But if an attacker already has the permission to do it,
> > I think he has many simpler and faster way to crash the system. :)
>
> Doesn't matter.  If there is a good way to avoid this, we should do
> it.
>
> Problem is: Maybe there isn't.

Depending on what your definition of DoS is, JFFS2 _without_ EBS or CS
could be considered that already.  If mounts take extremely long times
on any decent sized flash, that could be perceived as a DoS.

Think along the lines of "new ogg vorbis player with 4 GiB NAND flash
using JFFS2 as the filesystem".  You think people are going to want to
wait for anything over 2 seconds for their music to be available?

I know, I know... far fetched perhaps.  But not any more than your
mount/unmount loop :).

josh