Another compiler error: sumtool.c

Artem B. Bityutskiy dedekind at yandex.ru
Thu Sep 22 05:50:22 EDT 2005

Dear Ferenc,

Ferenc Havasi wrote:
>>EBS makes mount really faster. But then the JFFS2 checker is working,
>>and in case of NOR+EBS it will work longer and eat more CPU. JFFS2
>>writers are blocked while the checker is working, so it may slow down
>>the boot process. That's the theory, experiments are needed.
>
> Artem, I think you have a little bit negative attitude against
> summary/EBS. :) You are right, we should write docs for summary, and we
> will do it soon.
No, beleave me! :-) I am actually fond of it as it improves JFFS2
scalability. I'm just being strict.

> Just for information: EBS was mainly designed for NAND, because JFFS2
> was designed for NOR, and produces very very slow mounting on big NAND
> chips. The idea is simple, and it seems to cause mount speed up at NOR,
> too. We've got many positive feedbacks. The price of the using EBS at
> NOR is to disable the obsolating method of NOR and apply the one used on
> NAND. I don't think it cause too much CPU penalty in normal usage, at
> least nobody complained of it.
May be you did not notice, I said EBS *may* be slow for *small* NOR
flashes. This means it should be OK for large ones. How small - no idea.
Just off the top of my head - may be 8-16 MB. I explained why I think so
- if you don't agree - complain please :-). Don't take any offense
please :-)

--
Best Regards,
Artem B. Bityuckiy,