NAND/ HW ECC problem

Vitaly Wool vwool at ru.mvista.com
Mon Sep 19 17:40:39 EDT 2005

Thomas Gleixner wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 17:40 +0400, Vitaly Wool wrote:
>

>>First, it turned to be necessary to add one more ECC type
>>(NAND_ECC_HW10_512): this controller stores 10 ECC data bytes after each
>>512-byte block. Also the need to change size of eccpos array off of
>>nand_oobinfo structure arose: for flashes with 2K-sector, this turned to
>>be 40 bytes for each sector.
>>

>Hmm, we really should think about making the ECC size per chunksize run
>time configurable.

What if have it in the same way as oobfree is stored, i. e. {offset,
length} pairs instead?

>>The serious problem we came across also was that nand_write_page doesn't
>>follow the free bytes reference for OOB to write ECC data what was
>>obviously wrong. As far as I understand, the DoC flashes have specific
>>mechanism for handling that, so he legacy variant was left for the DoC,
>>dunno whether it's right.
>>

>Err, the oobfree reference is the place where file systems can put their
>data in. The ECC is put into the byte positions given by eccpos.

Oh yes, thanks for the clarifications.

>I never bothered to implement the support for HW_ECC with a scattered
>byte layout as I never seen a controller doing such nonsense. All I have
>seen do
>
>data - ecc - fsoobdata (512byte/page)
>data - ecc -data - ecc -data - ecc -data - ecc - fsoobdata (2k/page)
>
>as this is the most efficient way to handle it.
>
>If your chip does it different, please use the correct parts of the data
>structure to implement it.

Yes, it does and I'm not at all happy with that. However, I guess this
controller is likely to be used in other boards' designs...
So, the right way to handle this bizarre stuff currently is to
write/read ECC data byte-by-byte following the eccpos array, correct?

Best regards,
   Vitaly