Silent GCC4.0 warning

Marius Groeger mgroeger at sysgo.com
Wed Sep 14 06:04:48 EDT 2005

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Jörn Engel wrote:

>>> Arithmetic with void* pointers is one of the best gcc extensions.  Use
>>> it!  The above is obviously correct, while below makes my brain rotate
>>> around itself at dangerous speed.
>>
>> If I get to choose between portable code and some remote developers
>> brain rotation, I'll pick the portable code. :-)
>
> It's a good thing that we both agree on this.  :)
>
> Is anyone actually using JFFS2 with a non-gcc compiler?  Intel's
> compiler counts as gcc-compatible here, they included all gcc
> extensions used in the kernel, for obvious reasons.

I know I'm quite religous here, and my point isn't really who's using
something else than GCC today -- I grant you that this is quite unlikely.
Experience shows however that you never know in what context you will have
to reuse a specific piece of software, so if your write it portable in the
first place, you're always safe.

Regards,
Marius

--
Marius Groeger <mgroeger at sysgo.com>
SYSGO AG                      Embedded and Real-Time Software