Getting manufacturer id and device ID from user space

Josh Boyer jdub at us.ibm.com
Thu Sep 1 09:12:12 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 10:51 -0700, Brian Gunnison wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I searched the archive (I wish it was all in one list).
>
> I have a product that may have one or more flash manufacturers.
>
> I need the manufacturer and device types. i.e. the .name field from amd_flash_info

Currently there is no way to get this information from userspace.  Most
likely due to the fact that userspace shouldn't care because that's
MTD's job, but whatever.

If you want to get this info from userspace, you could create
some /sysfs or /proc entries in your mapping driver.  Or patch mtdchar
to add an ioctl to return that information.

josh