/dev/mtd* not there with latest MTD

Bernhard Priewasser priewasser at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 10:41:21 EDT 2005

Hello,

I'm using a modified 2.6.11 kernel running on a Hynix eval board with
NOR flash. Using the existing MTD works fine (CONFIG_MTD_BLOCK and
CONFIG_MTD_CHAR enabled), MTD is using a custom map and is running fine.
U-Boot uses nfsroot.

Today I patched in the latest CVS snapshot (2005-10-10). Kernel is
starting without problems (MTD debug level 3):

 > H720x-MTD probing 32bit FLASH
 > H720X: Found 2 x16 devices at 0x0 in 32-bit bank
 >  Intel/Sharp Extended Query Table at 0x0031
 > Using buffer write method
 > cfi_cmdset_0001: Erase suspend on write enabled
 > cmdlinepart partition parsing not available
 > Using builtin partition table
 > Creating 5 MTD partitions on "H720X":
 > 0x00000000-0x00080000 : "ArMon"
 > mtd: Giving out device 0 to ArMon
 > 0x00080000-0x000c0000 : "Env"
 > mtd: Giving out device 1 to Env
 > 0x000c0000-0x00240000 : "Kernel"
 > mtd: Giving out device 2 to Kernel
 > 0x00240000-0x00640000 : "Ramdisk"
 > mtd: Giving out device 3 to Ramdisk
 > 0x00640000-0x02000000 : "jffs2"
 > mtd: Giving out device 4 to jffs2

But: there is no /dev/mtd* or /dev/mtdblock* at all!
There are no changes to u-boot or some other kernel config, only the new
MTD source.

Patching the kernel with 2005-06-21 CVS results in having only
/dev/mtdblock*, but no /dev/mtd*!..... very confusing.

I would be glad if someone could help, I can provide more information if
needed.

Regards,
Bernhard