docboot: nandwrite: Input file is not page aligned

Joseph M Dupre (AVAB Inc.) dupre at avab.com
Mon Oct 10 20:04:57 EDT 2005

I am trying to use the /mtd/docboot tool to place a boot image on a
DOC 2000 (INFTL version), but nandwrite is failing:

# cat /proc/mtd
dev:    size   erasesize  name
mtd0: 08000000 00004000 "DiskOnChip 2000 (INFTL Model)"
mtd1: 00a14000 00004000 " DiskOnChip BDK partition"
mtd2: 075dc000 00004000 " DiskOnChip BDTL partition"
# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd1
erasing 16 Kibyte @ 74000 -- 4 % complete
Skipping badblock @ 0x00078000
Erasing 16 Kibyte @ a10000 -- 99 % complete.
# nandwrite -o /dev/mtd1 doc_spl
Input file is not page aligned: Success
Data did not fit into device, due to bad blocks.
: Success

First, what is this "Input file is not page aligned" error and how do
I make the doc_spl image so that it is page aligned?

Second,  there is only one bad block on the 10MB BDK partition, so
there shouldn't be any problem loading my doc_spl which is only 1.9MB
(Unless nandwrite is not aware of bad blocks.) How do I fix that
issue?

Third,  when the kernel reads the bbt it reports two bad blocks:
nand_read_bbt: Bad block at 0x00080000
nand_read_bbt: Bad block at 0x03370000
nand_read_bbt: Reserved block at 0x07ffc000
That, in conjunction with the badblock reported by flash_eraseall,
indicates to me that the IPL is actually using 2 eraseblocks.
(0x0080000 - 0x00078000 = 0x00008000)
I thought the IPL is only supposed to be in the first erase block.
Is that correct?

Thanks a mega,

- Joe