NAND write buffering

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 14:07:12 EST 2005

On 11/29/05, Bernhard Priewasser <priewasser at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just got the cited mail from Ferenc. I think it is useful for other
> people too, that's why it is posted to the list.
>
> Is there anything wrong with our assumptions?

The assumptions seem to be fine.  The usage case you described is
probably the worst case for JFFS2 though.  Lots of small writes
generates lots of data nodes, which in turn increases mount time and
wastes space.  EBS helps with the mount time issue, but the flash
space consumption is larger than it probably needs to be.  But as you
correctly pointed out, there is nothing you can do about that if you
_must_ have it be on flash after every write.

josh