small erase block size with EBS

Ferenc Havasi havasi at inf.u-szeged.hu
Tue Nov 22 08:53:10 EST 2005

Hi,

> I have a NAND flash with a small erase block(16KiB)
> When I use sumtool, I find that the summary image size is much larger
> than the original one if I use option --eraseblock=0x4000.
> But When I use option --eraseblock=0x20000, The summary image is a bit
> larger than the original one.
> EBS fits for large erase block as far as I know.
> That is to say, I can not use EBS if the NAND erase block is small. What
> a pitty!
 > Is there any way to use EBS on a small erase block size NAND?

EBS should work on your system but if the erase block size is small it
may be not too usefull. Generally if you use bigger erase block size the
speedup will be greater and the "used place penalty" will be smaller.

So I suggest to test it: measure the rete of speedup and the difference
in image size on your system, and you can decide it is OK for you or not.

> What about CS?

CS doesn't depend on erase block size as EBS does, so you may try it.
The code of CS is more then one mouth old, so you should use it with
earlier mtd snapshot. If you can wait a little we will update it at the
first week of december.

Ferenc