Some JFFS3 feedback

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Thu Nov 17 19:15:52 EST 2005

On Thursday 17 November 2005 06:06, Jörn Engel wrote:
> On Wed, 16 November 2005 17:02:12 +0300, Artem B. Bityutskiy wrote:
> > Charles Manning wrote:
> > >About 9 years back, I did some flash file system patent research and
> > > IIRC one of the patents covered something very similar to the Wandering
> > > Tree approach to addressing the write-in-place problem, so there might
> > > be some IP issues with this. I shall have a scratch around to see if I
> > > can find it (though finding something in a 20+ year old paper mountain
> > > is a challenge).
> >
> > Hmm, it is interesting. We would be very appreciated if you provide some
> > information.
>
> Definitely.  If there is a patent on this, we need to do the usual
> dance to find some prior art and either invalidate the patent or make
> it specific enough to be trivially avoided.

I had a bit of a scratch through stuff and could not find any patent on
wandering trees, but I am pretty sure I have seen this in a paper somewhere.
So, inconclusive as to whether it is patented or not.

One bloke that I will ping is Sivan Toledo (http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~stoledo/)
who has done heaps of research into FFSs.

-- Charles