How to produce dirty space

Artem B. Bityutskiy dedekind at yandex.ru
Tue Nov 8 09:43:47 EST 2005

Bernhard Priewasser wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to generate some dirty space in a mounted JFFS2 for test
> purposes. I tried to get the FS dirty for hours now... but I couldn't
> compete against the erase_pending list. (BTW: how is kupdated set up?)
> Maybe... I'm not the first one who wants to do some tests on a dirty FS,
> perhaps there is some existing code... :-)

Create a file and make a small change in it. It is unlikely that the
corresponding eraseblock will be garbage collected soon, so you'll have
dirty space.

For the information when things are flushed see "/proc/sys/vm - the
virtual memory subsystem" at Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt.

--
Best Regards,
Artem B. Bityutskiy,