MTD git repository status

Artem B. Bityutskiy dedekind at yandex.ru
Tue Nov 8 09:10:52 EST 2005

Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> - [MTD] NAND: OOB changes
> 	Needs more thoughts. I'm particularly unhappy with the introduction of new
> functions and the still pending problem of the automatic placement/retrieval
> of oob data. The change should subsume and/or extend the oob_info
> functionality rather than introducing a parallel solution.

As for me, the ideal would be to have:
1. a method to fetch the number of OOB bytes available for user;
2. a method of read/write a buffer of that length to/from OOB; that
space may be non-contiguous, but this should be hidden from the user.

Complications like the need to supply oob_info look unreasonable to me.
Most (may be all?) people don't care about the OOB layout and just want
to read/write data from/to it. So, I agree with Charles.

Any example of when users want to know the oob layout? May be nanddump
utilities? Not sure.

--
Best Regards,
Artem B. Bityutskiy,