Serial flash memory support

Hinko Kocevar hinko.kocevar at cetrtapot.si
Thu May 26 10:52:46 EDT 2005

Andrew Victor wrote:
> hi Hinko,
>

>>Has anybody done something on the SPI flash memory devices already?
>

> Yes, there is a driver for Atmel's DataFlash.

ST serial flash seems pretty close according to the specs.

> The driver is included in the 2.4 ARM-Linux kernels
> (www.arm.linux.org.uk) and the 2.6 patches for the AT91RM9200 processor
> (http://maxim.org.za/AT91RM9200/2.6/).

Great, 2.6 patch looks promising. Thank you. Can you provide information about
timings for accessing SPI serial flash. As I could see from kernel boot dump on
the maxim.org.za page you seem to be using SPI serial flash for code and data.

Our application has user data on the SPI serial flash and at boot time its
contents is read - it has to be done as fast as possible. Is there some fs you
could recomend for this purpose?

regards,
hinko k

--
..because under Linux "if something is possible in principle,
then it is already implemented or somebody is working on it".

					--LKI