stdio.h and kernel space

Munira Ahmed munira.ahmed at radixs.com
Thu May 19 23:45:34 EDT 2005

Hang on

I am confused now

cfi_cmdset_0002.c implements CFI or a flash driver?

What I understand from is that

there is one cfi command set just to find out which chip is being used
and what driver to use.

The other one is the software command set to tell the flash what to
do.This command set would essentially constitute the driver.

earlier there used to be a JEDEC standard before CFI came in vogue. It
used to do the same thing which is now done by CFI albeit in some old
fashioned or may be in not so efficient way. there must be something
missing in there that's why it is getting out of use. jedec_probe.c
if I am not wrong implements this standard which is almost obsolete.

Now this S29WSxxxN is CFI compliant and uses a software command set
called JEDEC 42.4 standard to instruct the flash. So  CFI in the kernel
should be able to identify that which chip is used.

No which file in the kernel implements CFI?

how to tell this CFI to use a new driver?

which file if any in the kerenl implements JEDEC 42.2 command set to
instruct a flash?

Please clearify

--
Munira Ahmed