Compute flash life time

Gianluca Moro giangiammy at yahoo.com
Thu May 19 06:31:48 EDT 2005

Hi all,

and sorry for the obvious question, but I'm trying to
estimate my flash life, depending on write operation.

I'm using JFFS2:
If I have 1 M flash, and write 128byte/s in a circular
buffer style: I compute, with 100000 write cycles to
have a 9000 day flash life (100000 * 1024*1024/128 seconds).

But in this way I suppose that each 128 blob of data
I write, effectively write 128 bytes of flash: but
I'm trying to understand:

- what is the filesystem overhead?
- when I write 128 bytes, the filesystem writes effectively
  128 bytes, or writes an entire sector?
- to do my computation, is it correct the formula I used,
  or do I need to substitute the 128 value with the flash
  sector size?

Sorry if the questions are obvious, but I'm almost new to JFFS2

thanks
giammy