Setting up multiple 'blkmtd' devices

Ryan B. Lynch rlynch at bway.net
Thu May 5 02:23:14 EDT 2005

I've been using the 'blkmtd' driver as a module, and I understand that
the only way to set up the device association and create a
'dev/mtdblock/*' device is to load the module with the option
'device=/dev/xxx'.

Couple of questions:

    - Is it possible to load more than one device during the 'modprobe'
command, with something like multiple "device=xxx" options?  I tried
that exactly, and it doesn't seem to work--it only loads the first
device listed.

    - Is it possible to set up additional blkmtd devices after the
module has loaded?  If I issue the command 'modprobe blkmtd
device=/dev/hdc1', is it possible to add another device later without
unloading the module?

    - When I've compiled the 'blkmtd' driver into the kernel, I
understand that I can associate the block device at boot time with the
boot parameter "blkmtd_device=/dev/xxx".  If I don't pass a
"blkmtd_device=" parameter at boot-time, is there any way to associate a
device later on?

    - Given the compiled-in scenario for the 'blkmtd' driver, is it
possible to bring in multiple devices, regardless of whether the
boot-time parameter is passed?

    - Is there a userspace tool, along the lines of 'losetup' or
'brctl', that allows you to manipulate/query blkmtd devices without
using the module options?

I hope these are straightforward enough.  Thanks for the time.

-Ryan