Booting from onboard flash

Michael xemc at yahoo.com
Wed May 4 12:15:10 EDT 2005

> Hi
>
> Plzz help me on this. .
> I want to boot Linux image straight from my onboard flash.

Yep.  I guess we all want that.
What kind of flash do you have?  I'm assuming NOR-type flash,
right?
Does your bootloader (dBug? I'm not familar with it) run from
flash?

> WHat i have ::
>
> 1. Motorola coldfire 5272C3 based board.

Is that like a development kit?  If it is, perhaps someone has the
same one.

> 2. Complied uClinux for the same.
> 3. have the image for LINUX +FILESYSTEM(romfs)

And you've tested them out by running out of ram, right?

> 4. Have copied this image to flash.
>
> What i wanna do :
>
> I want to use the dBug option go <start address> to boot straight
> from flash.

Well.. What happened (in my case, anyways) is that I put a 'zImage'
into NOR flash, and it knew where to uncompress itself (into RAM).
My bootloader set up ram and a few other things, and then ran the
zImage (like the 'go' command), which uncompressed itself to
0xc0008000.

Take a look here:
http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/noboot-checklist/

What do you use for those values (ZRELADDR, TEXTADDR, ...)?
You may need to fix or tweak them.

> Can anyone plzz help me on this.

I'd like to be helpful.  =]

Mike