mtd_open errors

S. van Beek nlv11891 at natlab.research.philips.com
Fri Mar 25 05:47:37 EST 2005

Hello,

Im using flash memory on a memec virtex II pro vp7 design board with
communications 2 module. I'm running Linux kernel 2.4.20 from Montavista
with mtd support compiled in the kernel. I have debugging set to 3.
I see the mtd partitions being created during boot and also my /proc/mtd
looks good.
But when I try to do anything with the devices I get errors:

# flash_unlock /dev/mtd/1
MTD_open
Could not open mtd device: /dev/mtd/1

# ftl_format /dev/mtd/1
MTD_open
open failed: Permission denied

My first partition is flagged read only in the partitions struct, the second
has no flags set so should be writeable?
I could use some clues on what could be wrong.

Kindest regards

Sander van Beek