atomic file operations

Sergei Sharonov sergei.sharonov at halliburton.com
Tue Mar 22 16:57:30 EST 2005

Hello,

I am working on a logging application where a (large) log file is appended
with 1 kByte data chunks. I cannot miss a chunk or duplicate a chunk in
case of a power failure. Kermit will be used to ensure atomicity for
incomming data chunks. Now, the question is what file operations on JFFS2
are guaranteed to be atomic/transactional?
Is a write of 1024 bytes atomic?
Does it relate to the page size in any way? BTW I am using NAND and the page
may vary between 512 and 2048 bytes depending on a device.
Is file rename atomic?
Other file operations?

Second issue is: How badly these small chunks will affect my mount time?

Thanks in advance

Sergei Sharonov