CRC errors using jffs2 partition

Narinder Kumar narinder at kritikalsolutions.com
Thu Mar 3 09:12:47 EST 2005

Hi all,

       I have been able to mount a jffs2 partition on AT91RM9200DK using
linux-2.4.27-vrs1 but still i am getting CRC errors and the problem is
sometimes those CRC errors causes my application to terminate and
sometimes they don't which makes things horrible for me. Can someone
help me out in how to remove these CRC errors. and CRC errors comes only
if i unmount the partition and mount it again and run my application, to
me it seems to be some problem with JFFS2 write-buffer i,e either the
patch i applied did some changes in it or i am using some unstable
version of MTD. I am using the following patches and files

Kernel : linux-2.4.27.tar.gz
Arm PATCH : 2.4.27vrs1-at91-06092004.patch
VRS-1 patch : patch-2.4.27-vrs1
MTD/CVS : mtd-snapshot-20050217.tar

Here are the errors:
jffs2_get_inode_nodes(): Data CRC failed on node at 0x0040d70c: Read
0x3ca4fc52, calculated 0x297fb7db
jffs2_get_inode_nodes(): Data CRC failed on node at 0x004088e0: Read
0x99dd4556, calculated 0x490abaea
jffs2_get_inode_nodes(): CRC failed on node at 0x003ffc94: Read
0xffffffff, calculated 0xd1438696
jffs2_get_inode_nodes(): Data CRC failed on node at 0x003fd4e4: Read
0x009707a1, calculated 0x1f2a72be
CRC failed for read_inode of inode 223 at physical location
0x3fb974
Returned error for crccheck of ino #223. Expect
badness...

 Data CRC 2ee67841 != calculated CRC 6f249f09 for node at 00318b14
 etc..............

Here are the steps i followed:
1) Applied the vrs-1 patch on the kernel.
2) Applied the ARM patch on the kernel
3) Applied the MTD patches on the kernel
4) Used following link to get some help which shows how to compile this
patched kernel

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2004-December/011039.html
5) Created 3 partitions in MTD of 1MB, 3 MB , 4 MB.
               while mounting the 4 MB partition it showed error of
erasesize very small i,e 1KB. so i changed the erasesize to 2KB in
at91_dataflash.c in device->erasesize=2*pagesize
and then it mounted succesfully and then i copied my application to this
partition and tried to run it and it was running without any errors and
when i unmounted the partition and remounted it and tried to run it , it
was giving CRC errors. without killing the application. But after 2-3
trials it started giving more errors and sometime it kills the
application and after that generally it never succeds again.

Regards
Narinder