Can you really write a jffs2 image with nandwrite?

Artem B. Bityuckiy dedekind at infradead.org
Wed Mar 2 04:57:49 EST 2005

Peter Grayson wrote:
 > This was definitely useful. I am now able to write images with
> nandwrite. Here are the magic steps I am taking:
>

> 1) mkfs.jffs2 \
> 	--eraseblock=128KiB \
> 	--pad \
> 	--output=image.jffs2 \
> 	--compression-mode=priority \
> 	--no-cleanmarkers \
> 	--big-endian \
> 	--squash \
> 	--verbose \
> 	--root=$ROOT_DIR

Peter, if you don't want to have problems in future, please use --pad=2048
option instead of --pad. The latter is only acceptable in case of NOR
flash. This is fairly confusing and we definitely have to either notice
this in the mks.jffs2 help output or just hack mkfs.jffs2 code and assume
--pad=Page Size by default for NANDs. You're welcome to do either of this
and to send your patch :-).

Please, refer to
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2004-December/011051.html
for more details. HTH.