loadlin boot from MTD-partitioned NAND?

David L idht4n at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 21 20:57:27 EDT 2005

>Hi David,
>Is this an Intel board rather than ARM? I'm currently working through this
>process for the ARMCore board...
Hi Paul,

It's an x86 (Geode) board from Compulab.  Their proprietary driver is able
to mount DOS partitions and write to them and we can also read/write to/from
the DOS partitions from DOS.  I'd like to maintain this functionality but
I'd like to use non-proprietary drivers.  I think this means I have to add
support for our board to MTD, but I don't know if it'll work for me when I'm
done.

>What are the NAND chip details?
Compulab's driver prints out this info:
Maker code = EC, device code = 75, ID_data = BD

Their tech support gave me this info:

"Here is the info you need for the MTD:

NAND flash is memory mapped at 0x000C9000.
NAND flash ALE connected to Geode's GPWIO1
NAND flash CLE connected to Geode's GPWIO2

GPWIO are controlled via IO port 0x9C16. Bit 1 - GPWIO1,
bit 2 - GPWIO2.
** Accessing this port is relatively slow, so caching current value in
memory will improve performance.

Chipselect is GPIO20_DOCCS.

Sometimes (during read operation) chipselect must be forced active
even after the access cycle finished. It is achieved by changing the
chipselect to GPIO mode and forcing it low. See FlashChipSelect() in
NandSys.c for implementation details.

There is some preliminary hardware setup that must be performed before
accessing the NAND. See function FlashInitial() in NandSys.c

Ready/busy signal of the NAND flash chip is not connected. Therefore
each read operation must include forced delay of ~15-20uSec between
issuing read command and reading the data. In all other situation
(write/erase) status register of the NAND flash can be read.

** I wrote some speed-optimized read/write functions, see NandSys.c, see
FlashBlockRead, FlashBlockWrite. They work twice faster than regular
byte-by-byte reads/writes.

This information + NandSys.c should be enough to bring up the MTD +
JFFS2."

Cheers...

         David