Using fdisk to partition DOC 2000 Millenium

Ashish Chavan ashish.chavan at matrixtelesol.com
Sat Jul 23 02:05:02 EDT 2005

Hi,
    I am building a linux system for ICOP 386 single board computer with 8
MB RAM and 8 MB Disk On Chip Millenium. Till now I have successfully boot
Kernel 2.6.12.2 booting from a ext2 partition on an NFTL device.

Now I want to partition my DOC in to two partitions so that,
 - First partition can be mounted as READ ONLY which contains kernel, boot
loader and other utilities
 - Second partition can be used for data related to my main application;
which need to be rewritten  many times during run time. i.e. I need a
READ/WRITE patition.

After browsing this archieve I came to know that the "docfdisk" utility
which is included in MTD tools works only for INFTL devices and not for NFTL
devices. I want to know that can I use normal fdisk to partition my DOC 2000
Millenium?

Would it be advantageous if I use jffs2 instead of ext2 considering the very
low memory that my board has? Can some one make expert comments?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--Ashish