running out of space dd'ing JFFS2 image to /dev/mtdblock/0

Jörn Engel joern at wohnheim.fh-wedel.de
Mon Jan 31 11:01:29 EST 2005

On Mon, 31 January 2005 10:43:25 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   ah, excellent, but while we're on the subject of parameters, is
> there any hope of getting some consistency in the way parameter values
> are supplied across the world of JFFS2 and MTD?
>
>   to wit, with "mkfs.jffs2":
>
> -p, --pad[=SIZE] Pad output to SIZE bytes with 0xFF. If SIZE is
>                         not specified, the output is padded to the
> 			end of the final erase block
>

>   so, apparently, you supply an *exact* byte size here (it's not
> mentioned if you can use KiB or MiB prefixes).
>
>   with "--pagesize" and "--eraseblock", the help states that you *can*
> use those prefixes.
>
>   if you check what you can do with the mtdram module, you get:
>
> $ modinfo mtdram
> filename:
> /lib/modules/2.6.10-1.741_FC3/kernel/drivers/mtd/devices/mtdram.ko
> parm:           total_size:Total device size in KiB
> parm:           erase_size:Device erase block size in KiB
>
>   so the values here are ... what?  strictly in KiB?  so i'd supply
> something like
>
>   total_size=16384
>
> to specify 16M?  it's just a bit painful to jump around between the
> various utilities and have to keep remembering what the standard is.
>
>   thoughts?

Feel free to send patches. :)

mkfs.jffs2 is something I personally don't care about.  Few do, thus
the current state.

mtdram looks pretty broken, interface-wise.  So if you want to fix it,
you might want to follow my path with slram/phram or blkmtd/block2mtd.
Rename the file, fix the interface, fix the other crap you find,
submit for inclusion.  If it's better, people will start using it.

Jörn

--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we
are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic