NAND partitioning

Josh Boyer jdub at us.ibm.com
Sat Jan 29 10:51:00 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 14:39 +0300, Artem B. Bityuckiy wrote:
> > This concept extends to any sort of "binary" data that one would want on
> > the device.  To access the data contained in said eraseblocks, one could
> > write a device driver that understood the data and presented it to the
> > user via a MTD device.
> Josh,
>
> Am I correct that you are thinking about the idea to have "binary" data
> on flash which does not belong to JFFS2 and JFFS2 should just move it
> iact from time to time reusing their blocks for better wear-leveling?

Not necessarily.  I was actually thinking of having JFFS2 just "ignore"
such eraseblocks.  Essentially treating them as bad blocks perhaps.

However, such blocks could be scattered across the entire device rather
than contained within a certain address range on the chip.  Updating the
data would be a bit tricky, which is why I said a driver would need to
be created in order to deal with it.

josh