JFFS3 & performance

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sun Jan 23 06:04:02 EST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 13:03 +0300, Artem B. Bityuckiy wrote:
> Hmm. What do you mean? Do you mean YAFFS-like architecture? Than we
> would better do YAFFS2 then JFFS3 :-))

Something like that. If you're going to ditch the compression then you
might as well try to make some use of the structure. Having real on-
medium metadata lets you use a lot less RAM than a truly log-structured
file system.

I don't think that's necessarily the right approach though -- even with
the larger NAND sizes, we're short of space and compression is a really
useful tool for a general-purpose file system.

YAFFS2 is already being worked on, for those applications for which is
makes more sense.

--
dwmw2