JFFS3 & performance

Artem B. Bityuckiy dedekind at infradead.org
Fri Jan 14 09:16:44 EST 2005

Of course it is taktless to refer you to read the thread from the
beginning - it is large :-))

This thread has multiple subthreads. We begun discussing the issue
of optimizing JFFS3 - we concieder the possibility to use adler32 checksum
instead of CRC32 which is much slower, though, stronger. There are several
candidates...

There was interesting offer to calculate checksum from the end of buffer
since it implies better L1 cache behaviour. Then there was another
argument against this idea - it was standed that some CPUs might be
capable to prefetch data forward and not capable to do it backward.

So, we've written test which just tests different CRCs and
backward/forward directions.

Here is the reference where you could get this test:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2005-January/011403.html

There are two results either: for ARM and x86.

The test works in kernel space and you should compile it as module. ARM is
special case, and you should compile the test with the kernel (or export
the system_timer structure).

So, if you run the test and provide results - would be good. We'se
interesting on any architecture except x86.

If you're curious, may read the thread from the beginning. Here is it:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2004-December/011137.html
It spans from dec to Jan and is in the archive.

Of course, any suggestions are welcomed.

--
Best Regards,
Artem B. Bityuckiy,