CRC on Read-Only partition

Artem B. Bityuckiy dedekind at infradead.org
Thu Jan 13 08:18:02 EST 2005

> I don't care. You show me formal proof that there cannot ever be an
> error, or we check the CRC anyway :)
I'm sorry, I mistiteled the mail. No doubt, CRC checking is needed to
detect problems. They may come from different sources, not only NAND
technology.

But I formulated question as: "does NAND technology imply that RO
partition may become bad, and it is normal?".

The question is about NAND technology.

Ok, thin about Joern's phrase:
> What happens, if crucial data in flash gets corrupted and is unusable?
> Say, /sbin/init.

Now imagine we have this data on RO partition. Other non-sensitive data on
RW partition. So, does this mean that only non-sensitive data may be
corrupted? Can we keep safe our RO data this way? I only mean the
corruptions due to *NAND technology*

--
Best Regards,
Artem B. Bityuckiy,