JFFS3 & performance

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Jan 13 02:54:15 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 16:43 -0600, Josh Boyer wrote:
> CRCs are needed.  Or rather, some form of checksum is needed.  Bits flip
> during operation on NOR as well.  I've seen it happen.  It's rare, but
> as David put it in an IRC conversation "it's a sanity check on the
> hardware".

More than just the hardware -- it's not just bit flips. The name CRC is
often the canary which warns of corruption due to the arch having broken
fixups for misaligned loads/stores, for example.

Shit happens. You can either work that out for yourself, or just blindly
trust everything on the medium and end up with inconsistent data
structures and entirely bizarre and uninterpretable failure modes.

--
dwmw2